October 18, 2009
Seven Habits for Living a Holy Life
1 Peter 1:15 (HCSB) As the One who called you is holy, you also are to be holy in all your conduct.
1. We must be sanctified because God is holy (2 Chronicles 29:1-11)
2. We have been set apart to serve God (2 Chronicles 29:12-19)
3. The purification comes before the celebration (2 Chronicles 29:20-36)
4. Live a holy life, even if the world scoffs (2 Chronicles 30:1-15)
5. Sanctification is an inner decision that affects the outer actions (2 Chronicles 30:16-31:21)
How does Scripture want us to be able to define ourselves? 1 Peter 1:15-16 (HCSB) As the One who called you is holy, you also are to be holy in all your conduct; for it is written, Be holy, because I am holy. There you have it, we are to be holy! Why? Because God is Holy!
A rather pompous-looking deacon was endeavoring to impress upon a class of junior boys the importance of living a “holy Christian life”. “Why do people call me a Christian?” the man asked. After a moment’s pause, one youngster said, “Maybe it’s because they don’t know you.”
Well, for those that know you, would they be able to say you are a Christian, that you are holy? Allow me to share with you seven habits assist you in living a “holy” life .
1. SAVIOR – You Must Devote Your Life to Follow Christ 2 Timothy 2:8-9a (HCSB) Keep in mind Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, descended from David, according to my gospel. For this I suffer, to the point of being bound like a criminal.
2. SCRIPTURE – You Must Submit to the Authority of the Scripture as a Daily Guide In Your Life. Psalm 1:1-2 (HCSB) How happy is the man who does not follow the advice of the wicked, or take the path of sinners, or join a group of mockers! 2 Instead, his delight is in the LORD’s instruction, and he meditates on it day and night.
3. SUPPLICATION – You Must Seek God Daily In Prayer 1 Thess. 5:17 (HCSB) Pray constantly. (Imperative)
4. SPIRIT – You Must Allow the Holy Spirit to Lead You Daily Galatians 5:16-26 (HCSB) I say then, walk by the Spirit and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is against the Spirit, and the Spirit desires what is against the flesh; these are opposed to each other, so that you don’t do what you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, moral impurity, promiscuity, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambitions, dissensions, factions, 21 envy, drunkenness, carousing, and anything similar, about which I tell you in advance—as I told you before—that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live by the Spirit, we must also follow the Spirit. 26 We must not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
A life defined by the “fruit of the Spirit” is a life defined by the presence of the Holy Spirit
Example: Paul Acts 16:6-10 (HCSB) They went through the region of Phrygia and Galatia and were prevented by the Holy Spirit from speaking the message in the province of Asia. 7 When they came to Mysia, they tried to go into Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus did not allow them. 8 So, bypassing Mysia, they came down to Troas. 9 During the night a vision appeared to Paul: a Macedonian man was standing and pleading with him, “Cross over to Macedonia and help us!” 10 After he had seen the vision, we immediately made efforts to set out for Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to evangelize them.
5. SAINTS – You Must Be Accountable to God’s House and His People Hebrews 10:25 (HCSB) Not staying away from our meetings, as some habitually do, but encouraging each other, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.
6. SANCTIFICATION – You Must Be Obedient In Separating Yourself from the World 1 Thessalonians 4:3 (HCSB) For this is God’s will, your sanctification… 2 Corinthians 6:17 (HCSB) Therefore, come out from among them and be separate, says the Lord.
7. SERVICE – You Must Seek to Serve the Body of Christ – Find Your Ministry! Proverbs 3:28 (HCSB) Don’t say to your neighbor, “Go away! Come back later. I’ll give it tomorrow”—when it is there with you.
Part of living a life of holiness is developing habits in our lives that are holy. However, if you try to do these things on your own, you are doomed for failure! Only Christ, living in our lives, can make holiness a reality for sinful humanity Ezra Taft Benson said, “The Lord works from the inside-out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take the people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human behavior.”